Saturday, September 7, 2013

Childbirth In Your Life and Around the World




My first personal birth experience begin August 10, 1988 when I gave birth at 11: 14 a.m. to a six pound and 10 ½ ounce healthy beautiful baby girl. I was in labor for 11 hours waiting to give birth. However, my daughter wasn’t in a hurry. I ask if I could have something for pain. They made me wait. Also, I ask the nurse if I can have something to eat, because I been there all night without and food. She said nothing heavy only water and crackers. Next, I was praying I live though it all. The nurse gave me enema and an I.V. That way I would go to the restroom and become totally cleaned out.
The pain was so unbearable I couldn’t eat anything. I kept squeezing the pillow hoping to ease the pain. Oh well, that didn’t happen at all, Okay. I remember my daughter’s father being in the delivery room with me trying to comfort me and I wanted him to leave the room because he was just getting on my nerves. He decided to step out for a few minutes until I clam down. Next, my sister in-law came in and tried to coach me by asking me to breath out each time I had a contraction. So, I did but nothing seems to help at this time I was at my breaking point. However, my dear sweet god mother who was a OB Nurse coach me and  my father tried to comfort me as well, but I wasn’t having it. Everyone seems to be getting on my nerves. I know they were trying to help but the pain was so intense that nothing or anyone wouldn’t have eased the pain. At least I figure that much out. The doctor had decided to do an ultrasound, because I had dilated ten centimeters and the baby wasn’t moving but her heart was still beating she was in the right position. The doctor said she is sleeping. I said what! Then laugh. Even the doctor could see her crown but she still wasn’t moving. I had stayed at the hospital all night and was just frustrated.
Once they saw the baby though the x-ray they told me she was just fine and I needed to clam down. I was thinking really? It felt like I was being cut by knives each time I had a contraction. Therefore, the doctor decided to induce labor. I remember being in so much pain and at the same time I was hungry.Therefore, I appreciated his humor, even though I didn’t think it was that funny at the time. But at least he took away some of the tense I was feeling for a moment. Next, the doctor gave me an epidural to ease the pain. It did help me a little but I could still feel the pain, Therefore, I agree to go along with the doctor orders. I push and push but still had complications trying to delivery my daughter. I remember thinking and saying to the doctor take the baby out and he said he would have to cut me in order to grab a hold of her head. I started praying and said O’ Lord Help please me and my baby. Now that my daughter was ready to wake up and visit her new family. Things seems a little scary at first, the doctor had the nurse to bring him the giant needle to give me a shot in my spine. But, once my daughter was born it was all worth it.
I choose this event because it was educational and the most beautiful life experience. My thoughts having my first child and being the first time mother made a positive influence in my life. Also, my baby girl gave me hope to make a different in her life and wanting to make a different in my life. I decided to continue my education and have a better life for the both of us. I didn’t have any ideal or clue in what to expect delivering a baby. However, being the only girl of four boys and my mother died when I was two years old left me clueless as a young woman about to have a child. I can say hearing and seeing is different, but experiencing life for yourself, it’s nothing like it. This is why I think first time moms need to be educated about child development and birth before becoming pregnant. Taken into consideration to what I have learn from reading this chapter I would have been more considerate towards the people who was there to comfort me more appreciated for their support knowing how much of affect they had on my newborn baby and myself. I wasn’t educated about giving birth at that time but I can say I’m truly educated about prenatal development. Now, I can say I have learned the hard way. Knowing the effects or impacts of what can effect the baby and me during delivery would have made my delivery less complicated for the baby, myself and everyone involved.
I decided to choose ABUJA, Nigeria, because it was very educating to learn how child birth take place in the country. I learned that a lot of the women were not educated to the fact that they need urgent care and medical supervision when having a baby. The women who were in labor are put in dangerous situations such as, they couldn’t afford to go to a hospital they would press a stick on her stomach or cut her vagina with a knife. Also, if they didn’t have transportation or money they had to deliver the baby from a poor village without any medical emergency treatment available. Also, there have been cases at the hospital once the women arrived at hospital there might not be electricity available for the doctor to perform the surgery on the expected mom or a  doctor or nurse on duty. Furthermore, some women give birth had to be took to the nearest hospital on a camel, donkey or carried by hand on a motorcycle. Women in remote village only have a few hours to get medical emergency treatment or an expert to deliver her baby and it might not be available.
“Nearly one in six material childbirth globally occurs in Nigeria.
If a woman from a poor village starts to bleed excessively during childbirth, she has only hours to live without emergency medical treatment, Obinya said. In many remote villages, she said, modern transportation is not always available and even if it is, many women can’t afford to pay the fare.” More from Global Post: Saving girls from senseless deaths 
ttp://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/africa/nigeria/120531/nigeria-fights-high-maternal-death-rate
While maternal death rates around the world have almost been cut into half over the past two decades, according to the UN report, Nigeria’s rate — 630 deaths for every 100,000 live births — is the world’s 10th highest, behind nine other sub-Saharan African countries led by Chad and Somalia.
ttp://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/africa/nigeria/120531/nigeria-fights-high-maternal-death-rate
Obinya said poverty, isolation, traditions and lack of access to health care are among the other causes for the high death rate of women during childbirth.
ttp://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/africa/nigeria/120531/nigeria-fights-high-maternal-death-rate.
The differences are we have access to emergency medical treatment, equipment, supplies and ambulance in which they don’t have 24/7 always available. When ever I look at the similarities we are human beings but we have different customs and beliefs and laws in our country. I believe no person should be treated with injustice and go without medical treatment 24/7 or being educated about child birth. In addition, hindsight as a women I am bless to have medical necessities need such as medication for pain  24/7 in cause of a dangerous situations. Also, the knowledge on development I gained about how important it is to be educated about life itself and to be a U.S. Citizen.

2 comments:

  1. Your birth experience was interested and similar to mines. But My baby was 9 pounds and 2 ounces and also the pain was unbearable, no food nothing but ICE but that wasn't good enough I wanted food. I was in labor for 8 hrs. I felt so alone at first because my family wasn't there but when they arrived it get better. As far as pain, I asked for a epidural when I was 2 centimeters but couldn't get it until I was 4 centimeters. But overall, THE JOY of tears begin rolling as I begin pushing my first son out. I love every bit if begin a Mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a dramatic reenactment of your birthing experience. I am surprised to start to see the similarities in the birthing stories I have heard. In fact it kind of scares me but you all same the same thing at the end, "it was all worth it". This gives me hope and I cant wait to see what my birthing experience is like. Thank for sharing.

    ReplyDelete