Saturday, September 28, 2013

Consequences of Stress on Children's Development






Wk4Blog Assignment
I didn’t realize my family and I were living in poverty until I became old enough to understand that we were poor. Our Parents had four boys’ ages two weeks and four, five and 10 years old and one girl. I was only two years old at the time. My father work very hard trying to provide for us. Unfortunately, for all of us, our mother died leaving behind five children and a husband. We had to live in government housing for ten years or more until we graduated from high school. Our family gain stress from being hurry because we had very little to eat. We didn’t have a lot of toys to play with so we would make our toys. Therefore, we didn’t have enough money to take care of all our needs. Such as medical, Food, clothes and shoes were limited growing up. My brothers and I encounter consequence growing up and sometimes complications and problems after our mother death. It brought hardship among the entire family. However, my great aunt moved from Houston, Texas to live with us as our caregiver who only received hundred dollars a check from the Social Security Office. Even though she lived with us and tried to help we were still living in poverty but we weren’t starving. However, my father needed someone to watch us while he went to work and school. Aunt Lillian would iron clothes for wealthy families to eared extra money during the week. There were times he just didn’t have money after paying bills. Therefore, we had to eat whatever was in the house. On some school days we didn’t have lunch bags and had to take empty ButterKrest bread bags to put our lunch inside. The children at school would laugh. For example, some days we would eat sandwiches and chips for dinner it we didn’t have anything else. My oldest brother would make grits which tasted awful but we would eat it because we were hungry. A lot of days my father would borrow money, so we wouldn’t be hurry. Sometimes he wouldn’t eat he would only feed us. Also, if we had a loose tooth and my father couldn’t afford to take us to the dentist, he take a piece of thread and tie it around our tooth and the other end of the thread he would tie it to the doorknob and shut the door and our tooth would come out.  If our stomach hurt my aunt would make some medicine out of Castrol, cornstarch and with a teaspoon of whisky and shake it up and give us a tea spoon. After, she would give us a taste of orange soda to make us feel better. My father would give my oldest brother a dollar to take to the chicken stand next door by our house, because the manager and my dad made arrangements  so my dad would send my brothers and myself to knock on the back door and they would give us the left over chicken in a brown paper bag after closing and my father would heat it up in the oven and cook a large can of corn to served with it and we ate our dinner.  We will walk to the store and buy cereal and milk to eat on the weekend every now and then we have bacon and eggs. Sometimes pancakes with syrup. I recall during my early childhood we had second hand clothing that was given by some of the military families who drop off clothes at my father’s job at the hospital.
My aunt would wash and starch our clothes for us and they would look new so we could go to school looking nice and clean.  Sometimes, we had to wear shoes that were too little or too big. Sometimes we had to put tissue paper at the toe so they would fit. Next, there were times my brothers and I had to put a piece of cardboard at the bottom of our shoes until our father could afford to buy us some more shoes. If we complained to my great aunt and our dad, they would say, “Thank God you have shoes there are a lot of children who don’t have shoes”.
On Sunday’s our entire family came together and brought food and we’ll have a big meal for all of the children and adults. They will bring dishes such as, vegetables and meats, breads, cakes or pies and the adults and children in the family would eat at grandma apartment. Together my aunt, grandmother and father showed us how to survive. My family and my self would go to church and every summer my brothers and my self would attend a Summer Vocational Bible School.  Furthermore, we had join the community parks a Recreation center, because the services provided a healthy lunch and the workers would feed us as long as we participated in the program activities. I would clean a school teacher house on the weekends she paid me five dollars to clean her whole house. Five dollars would make me feel rich but it was a lot back in those days. I was in junior middle school and needed to make extra money for myself to buy the things I wanted to wear by saving my money. Simply, because I got tried of being teased and the children calling me Grandma at school because the dresses I had were too long. When I became sixteen years old I work for a summer program and was able to buy my clothes and shoes for the next following school term until I was able to finish high school.
How we were able to survive was by having faith and believing in God and praying. We were able to cope with ramifications by staying together as a family and work together and attending church to help one another. My father and aunt loved and cared for us very much because they did provide for us when we couldn’t provide for ourselves. My father was a good man and our Aunt was a good lady and we where happy to have them in our lives. I know I can speak for all of us, because they showed us how much they love and care for us doing these crises. My father never left his family or gave us up for adoption.
 
The approach I read on is about child poverty in Vietnam, observing the multidimensional of the poorest children living conditions that are taking place in this urban regional.
In Vietnam it is consider that every third child is to be multidimensionality poor. Therefore, children who are in living in poverty due to water sanitation, leisure, shelter, child labor, education and there is an incidence depth of severity among infants and well as children. Also, 20% of all children which is the large majority who live in large urban rural divide and regional disparities, are in the Northern Mountains regions experience the deepest and most severe poverty.
 The children living in the mountains regions doesn’t have hygienic sanitation facility, In other words their house’s don’t have private piped water to protect the sewerage septic tanks when flash their toilets and this consist of a percentage of all children in ages from 0-15. There is no clean drinking water, therefore it is not safe for them to drink may cause deaths to an unborn infants or children to be subject to some kind of  impairment to their mental and physical abilities.
Furthermore, there are child labor laws that are broken due to poverty and most children ages 5-14 work for an employer in household production or self- employment, are a family member, a rice field, business or begging on the streets. Some children might get paid and there are some who don’t get paid for working, regardless of how many hours the work.
Therefore, leisure is another poverty concern for the young children ages from 0-4 who don’t have any store brought toys are anyone to make them toys.
As for as education children 0-4 don’t have at least one book or picture book to look at are have some one to read to them. Also, most children ages 5-15 not enrolled in school or haven’t completed primary schools.
The social poverty includes children ages 0-4 don’t have a birth registration.
Of the estimated 2.2 billion children worldwide, about a billion, or every second child, live in poverty.[23] Of the 1.9 billion children in developing nations, 640 million are without adequate shelter; 400 million are without access to safe water; 270 million have no access to health services.[24] In 2003, 10.6 million children died before reaching the age of five, which is equivalent to the total child population of France, Germany, Greece, and Italy.[25] 1.4 million die each year from lack of access to safe drinking water and adequate sanitation while 2.2 million die each year due to lack of immunizations.
Child Poverty in Vietnam: Providing Insights Using
a Country-Specific and Multidimensional Model
Keetie Roelen Franziska Gassmann ChrisdeNeubourg
What is done to minimize the poverty in Vietnam According to; PRESS RELEASE

World Bank Group to Invest $700 Million by 2015 to Improve Women and Children’s Health in Poor Countries

September 23, 2013
NEW YORK CITY, September 23, 2013 — Today at the United Nations, World Bank Group President Jim Yong Kim will announce that the Bank Group projects at least $700 million in financing through the end of 2015 to help developing countries reach the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) for women and children’s health. This new funding comes from the International Development Association (IDA), the World Bank Group’s fund for the poorest countries, and will enable national scale-ups of successful pilot reproductive, maternal, and child health projects that were made possible by support from the Bank Group’s Health Results Innovation Trust Fund (HRITF) and IDA. This announcement follows President Kim’s September 2012 commitment to help scale up funding for MDGs 4 and 5 as part of the UN Secretary General’s Every Woman Every Child global partnership.“We need to inject greater urgency into our collective efforts to save more women and children’s lives, and evidence shows that results-based financing has significant impact,” said World Bank Group President Jim Yong Kim. “The World Bank Group is committed to using evidence-based approaches to help ensure that every woman and every child can get the affordable, quality health care necessary to survive and live a healthy, productive life.” World Bank Group to Invest $700 Million by 2015 to Improve Women and Children’s Health in Poor Countries http://www.worldbank.org
Reference:

Child Poverty in Vietnam: Providing Insights Using a Country-Specific and Multidimensional Model.
Child Poverty in Vietnam: Providing Insights Using
a Country-Specific and Multidimensional Model
Keetie Roelen FranziskaGassmann ChrisdeNeubourg

World Bank Group to Invest $700 Million by 2015 to Improve Women and Children’s Health in Poor Countries

http://www.worldbank.org

No comments:

Post a Comment