Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Words of Inspiration and Motivation

"Individual character involves honoring and embracing certain core ethical values; honesty, respect, responsibility . . . Parents must teach their children from the earliest age the difference between right and wrong. But we must all do our part"- President William J Clinton, Proclamation 6937 of 1996

"To this end equal opportunity is essential, but not enough, not enough. Men and
women of all races are born with the same range of abilities. But ability is not just the product of birth. Ability is stretched or stunted by the family that you live with, and the neighborhood you live in—by the school you go to and the poverty or the richness of  your surroundings. It is the product of a hundred unseen forces playing upon the little
infant, the child, and finally the man."- President Lyndon B. Johnson
“The passion to make sure all children were taught in environments and in ways that truly nurtured their ability to grow and develop to their fullest abilities.”- Louise Derman Sparks.





“It’s not all about you, you have to take your ego out of it and think about what’s best for this child.”-Renatta M. Cooper

5 comments:

  1. Herleen, I enjoyed reading your quotes! I can see that you were as inspired as I was by the professionals in the Early Childhood video we viewed in the second week of class. Those two women and those two quotes hit home for me, too. I completely agree with their outlook on E.C.E. and I am glad to see you share the same vision as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herleen I also chose Renatta Cooper as the woman of passion to quote on my blog. I think her view of education as a civil rights issue is so relevant to the current political climate. I also found your Lyndon Johnson quote spot on. I read it and I was all like "he gets it. This man gets it."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Herleen, I agree that we, as parents, must teach our children. We are our children's first teachers. They begin to learn years before they enter school, so we must build a learning foundation at home for our children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Herleen, I find it interesting that you chose politicians as famous quotes to post. In my opinion, politicians can never be trusted, for their character is never really shown. "Ability is stretched or stunted by the family that you live with, and the neighborhood you live in—by the school you go to and the poverty or the richness of your surroundings. It is the product of a hundred unseen forces playing upon the little
    infant, the child, and finally the man."-
    That quote above however may be true to some extent, but I feel we need to raise our future generations to not think or be so limited to such box-like thinking. If they place themselves in perceiving or viewing the world in that way, they will never come to their full potential. We need to teach them to truly reach for the stars, and never stop until they reach their goals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Herleen, I love the quote you posted from president Clinton. For me he was one of the better presidents we have had. I also have a new apreciation for him after finding out that he was the one to start the Infant/Toddler program for Head Start.
    Also, I was very much inspired by Renatta M. Cooper. She has a way with her words but her motivation and her interest in changing policy for women and them having more of an option to stay home really sits close to my heart.

    ReplyDelete