Saturday, July 20, 2013

Personal Childhood Web



I love to give dedication to the following people who nurtured, cared and influence me when I was a child.


My Great Aunt Lillian, was a very caring, loving, nurturing, and giving person. She was the disciplinarian and supporting person in my life. My mother passed away when I was two years old. Aunt Lillian took me under her wings and raised me as if she gave birth to me, she gave me love, respect, guidance and advice in life. She taught me if I wanted something in life I had to work hard for it. She took out the time and gave me her best as a person to show me how much I meant to her, despite the fact she couldn’t have children of her own. I was her little girl. To have her as a mother figure and for her to treat me as if I was her own daughter made me feel very special as a person. She would always tell me that she loved and cared about me and wanted what’s best for me in life. She said, “You can do and go as far as your mind will let you go, just put your mind into getting your education, because education is the key to success.” This had a great influence on me as a child. It gave me encouragement to strive for my goals in life. She always was willing to take the time to show me places outside my environment and introducing me to new things. Aunt Lillian made sure I had a home cook meal in a family style setting which included my brothers and my father everyday. We would sit down at the table and say grace. She showed me the proper way to eat, drink, and to know how to serve myself. She took out time to read to me a story and also taught me how to read. She helped me with my homework, taught me how to cook, and sew. She taught me the life skills I need in order to be independent in life. I learned respect, how to love, and be honest to not only others but myself. She said, “Respect, communication and understanding goes a long way.” Most importantly she taught me to trust in God.
.
My Father, Bernard Willis was a single parent who shows nothing but love for his children.  He was a dedicated parent and provider. He worked very hard as a single parent of five children. He cared for me by making sure I had the necessities I needed as a child growing up. He also gave me love, respect, nurturing, guidance, and support I needed as a child. He protected me and made me feel secured in many ways. Growing up without my mother was hard, so my father would take my brothers and myself to visit my mother home town, Lock Heart, Texas where my mother’s sister Aunt Rachael and her children resided. It made me feel special that he gave me opportunity to learn about my mother side of the family and about her as a person along with the environment she grew up in as a child. I had the opportunity to meet my grandparents, cousins and uncle who told me wonderful stories about my mother. This taught me the value of family and gave me hope. I was able to establish an identity. He would say, “Relationship is all about family sticking together no matter what obstacles come your way.” He showed me that hard work will pay off in the long run with determination and commitment. . My father was a very supportive man. He cared about helping me solve problems or giving me positive suggestions or approaches to problem. His biggest influence on me was showing and telling me how much he loved and care about me as his little girl. I remember him taking time out to teach me how to play baseball and introducing me to new activities such as golf and dominoes. He would take my brothers and myself to baseball games. He would often tell me experiences growing up as a child and stories about his career as a baseball player for the Army. Ultimately, he taught me the most important lesson to never give up on the dreams in life that I have for myself. He said, “The Lord will make a way you just have to believe in yourself and him.”

My Aunt Rachael lived in the Lock Heart, Texas which is a very small country town with an estimated a population of 12,698 people.
She would let my brothers and I stay with her during the summer time. She had three daughters and two sons of her own and was my mother’s only sister. Aunt Rachael was a very loving and nurturing, caring aunt. She loved to cook, go to church, shop, and watch television together. We would sit on the porch and just have the longest conversations about what happening in our lives. We would talk about growing up together or apart. We would share ideas and experiences that we had in common. She always made me feel special when she would parade me around the neighborhood to meet her friends and other relatives. I can recall her telling them how smart, beautiful and talent I was like my mother.

My God Mother, Ms. Pat, had a great influence in my life she was a Registered Nurse and a close family friend. She always took time out of her busy schedule and family to love nurtured and care for my brothers and myself well being. She would come by the house with something for us to eat during the times when my father was at work and we were at home with my great aunt who took care of us who didn’t have transportation. Her love, respect and understand for my family and I made me feel very special as a child. She was very encouraging and motivated me to continue my education. She introduced me to vacation bible school and bowling. She would offer to help babysit my brothers and I and would take us to her family events, such as birthday parties, shopping trips, and different restaurants in town. She greatly influenced me as a child by offering me something to look forward to when I had finished school. That was my class ring, I was motivated even more to continue my education and make good grades, because I never own a gold ring before. She encourage me by telling me “I know you can do it, plus, you can grow up and take care of your family and your self without depending  on any one else to take care of you.”

My father oldest sister, Aunt Voncile, I called her Aunt Cile, was a Teacher. She was the only adult on my father’s side that had the highest level of education. She taught high school students Cosmetology. She would watch me until my great aunt got off from work. I had to stay at the High School were I watched her teach  hair styles. On the weekend, I cleaned her house and in return she would pay me. This is where I learned how to earn money and be financially responsible. She rewarded me in other ways too, when I made good grades in school she would take me out shopping. She would say this is your reward for helping around the house and making good grades at school. She always made me feel special and that is what I valued about our relationship. the students creative hair designs, facials and how to do nails. When she took out time to fix my hair and make me feel pretty it really made me feel special. Staying with her after school was an learning experience. She was a funny person who would laugh at me before she corrected me during the times when I mispronounced a word or use incorrect grammar. Also, I remember her giving me a mannequin head and wig to play around with. Because I was given the freedom to explore creative styles I learned all different type of styles.


My family continues to contribute to my present life. They motivated me to achieve my goals and dreams in life. Also, motivated me to work hard for what I want and always believe in myself. They are always open to share and introduce new ideas. Always caring, loving, and nurturing people. I learned how to value everyone, especially family. Overall their contributions of the different resources, tools, and skills helped me to grow into the woman that I am today. It helped me to have a better life for my children and me. Their encouragement, love, and respect showed me how to build a strong support system. I know that it will be rewarding to make others feel special. It truly means the world to have someone who cares about you and respect you as a person.


1 comment:

  1. Herleen,
    Your aunt Lilian is a wonderful woman for helping out where she would be needed most by being that motherly figure for you and your siblings. Your photos and stories about your family gave me chills and made my heart swell. You had a very supportive web while you were growing up and positive role models in your life.

    ReplyDelete