Saturday, July 19, 2014

Week 3- Blog Communication with people from diverse cultures

                                                      


     When I think about the cultural diversity within my workplace, I think about exchanging appropriate information to welcome all cultural primary language so that children, parents and staff will feel comfortable within a multicultural setting that consist of two teachers who speaks Spanish and English. The majority of the children and their families in my workplace consist of Hispanic families and staff in which most of them are bilingual. Therefore, I take in consideration of all the aspects that make up a culture, including “race, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, and varying abilities." For instance, the different ways I communicate differently with people from different groups and cultures or with a disability consist of English and Spanish considering both languages when using interpersonal communication involving verbal and non-verbal communication. For example, I will use positive words, cues, gestures, sign language, written documentation, music, books, pictures and offer an interpreter if needed. Therefore, I take in consideration towards another individual feelings and I value their opinions and ideas. I show respect, sensitivity, compassion and a sense of humor at all times to encourage interaction among the children and their families and co-worker’s. 
     For instance, I listen, observe, focus, empathize and respect and think before I speak in order to deliver effective communication. I will welcome, a comfortable, fun and positive communication within the environment by sharing stories are age appropriate jokes and giving respectful complement’s upon stating it is a pleasure to have your child in our classroom and saying thank you for sharing your opinions and ideas when communicating with the children, parents, staff and my supervisor. I use effective communication by respecting their feelings and acceptance of their differences and similarities in freedom of self-expression when sharing information. The different ways I communicate differently. For example, a parent enters my classroom to drop off her child to school. I greet the parent and child with a smile and I ask open ended positive questions. How are you doing today, to let the child, parents, staff and my supervisor know I am here to address any concerns they may have by giving them my full attention and direct eye contact with a smile to make the parent and child and others to feel comfortable within their environment in order to build a trustful relationship.
     In addition, if the family primary language is English I will greet the parent and child with a smile in English. “Good Morning” Ms. or Mr. Garcia how are you doing today? I am glad Bill is here today he is a smart child and a good listener who plays very well with the other children". However, if the parent and child primary language is Spanish I will greet them in Spanish with a smile, and say “Buenos dais." Ms. or Mr. Garcia. When considering I am not fluent in Spanish showing respect for their culture by making the child and their family member feel welcome I chose to learn how to greet them in their primary language. 
However, at home, I used formal and sometimes informal language with my family and friends called "Slang Language" but in playful ways. For instance, my girlfriend or boyfriend call me on the telephone and said "what are you doing today" I will say " just chilling” or "Let’s Roll " I might call them by their nickname What's going on Slim or Big Baby. 
    Therefore, Slang Language is just a figure of speech. Therefore, out of respect for other individuals feelings I don't use vulgar language what is described in the dictionary that may be used by other individuals when communicating in which it may consists of words and phrases that are regarded as very informal, are more common in speech than writing, and are typically restricted to a particular context or group of people. Therefore, when I am in the workplace I will communicate using the formal language in which I conduct myself in a professional at all times, However, there are times I use a sense of humor to encourage other people it okay to smile are laugh within a workplace, you should be able to interact in a fun loving environment and not take everything so seriously.Therefore, when I communicate with my co-workers or supervisor, I don't use Slang Language and I stay away from bias remarks because, I don't want the conversation to be taken out of context in which may can cause a misunderstanding or destroy trustful relationships.
     The three strategies I could use to help me communicate more effectively with the people or groups I have identified will consist of the following; 
1st. Using positive interaction to model communication that the exhibits respectful communication between sender and receiver that incorporates positive feedback in waiting for the appropriate time to speak. For example, listen and think before speaking about what the person is saying before asking open end questions about what you don’t understand but be polite to the individual by respecting their feelings
2nd. Make sure I show interpersonal communication using positive and respectful verbal and non-verbal communication when speaking to an individual so they will know they are being heard and you care about what they are saying and avoid bias remarks.  3rd. Used communication, cognition may or may not consist direct eye contact however, it is to be observed and thoughtful of other individual feelings when communicating to listen and interpreted before offering feedback.  

1 comment:

  1. Herleen,
    It sounds like you have a good way to communicate with others and choose which way is appropriate depending on who you are talking to. You definitely don't want to use Slang language when talking with a co-worker. I think your strategies sound very good and will help when communicating with others.
    Great post!
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete