Saturday, May 17, 2014

Blog: My Family Culture



                                              My Family Culture



    The three items I’d decided to choose holds a sentimental value and each represent my family culture. It will consist of a family portrait, bible and a hand radio.To explain to others what each of these items means to me I will begin describing My family portrait because it is a sentimental value to me and provides positive memories of what I shared with my family. Also, I can reflect back on how strong our family culture was and having a positive relationship we share together. The bible was a family tradition that will help me to stay motivated and supported about what I believe. Which is consisting of values and morals as a person's standards of behavior or beliefs concerning what is and is not acceptable for me to do in life. Having the bible is something I inherited as a child from my ancestors who read the bible to me and help me to understand about what the values and morals of life was all about. For instance, my family and I had to have a bible to attend church for bible study, Vocational bible school, Sunday school, and morning and evening services. Furthermore, the radio will help me to remember our family tradition, such as, when we listen to music and dance together in celebration of holidays or birthdays. Spending time together and having fun with my family members and friends. These items as a whole provide some of the best memories money can’t buy. Also, the radio will help me to keep updated with the latest news and current events of what’s going on within the world. In other words, the radio is another form of an open line of communication and understanding which can have connection to all diversities within the world. For instance, the radio will provide me with information about current issues relating to public affairs or public assistance and entertainment from different cultural environments.

     
My feelings would be hurt upon arrival if I was told I could only keep one personal item and give up the other two items I brought with me, because as I mention before these three items hold a sentimental value. For instance, I would choose to keep my family portrait because I can always reflect back to the happy memories we shared by looking at the picture of my family. Why? It tells about a positive story of who, what, where, and why we shared this precious memory together as a family. However, I will feel lost without my bible because it helps me to stay focus on reality, my beliefs, values and morals. Why? Because reading the bible gives me support and respect to develop a strong sense of self concept about myself and others in society.
The insights I gained about myself is knowing the important role my family culture plays into my life. Also, the diversity and cultural differences in general are as much as a part of my life, because without being a part of a diversity within my society, I can’t learn to grow within self or learn from other individual’s culture differences.




1 comment:

  1. Herleen,
    I also chose the bible as one of the items to bring with. I agree that it helps me stay focused and connected to my beliefs as well. Family culture plays a big part of peoples lives and I never though much about it till now. it does help us learn and grow.
    Good post,
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete